1. If you had an old account at the OLD OLD Nexopia, you can get that account back by resetting your password.

Click Here to Reset Your Old Account's Password.

Alternatively, you can Register a New Account!

Best movies of 2016

Discussion in 'TV & Movies' started by Mark CM, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Mark CM

Mark CM Administrator Staff Member Mod Squad

Blogs:
    Winter hermit season is upon us. Trying to make a list of movies to watch over the winter. What were the best of the year?

• Like Like x 1
  2. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Member

Blogs:
    The Nice Guys was great for me if you haven't seen it. Shane Black doing good stuff. Laughed my ass off.

Kubo & the Two Strings. Laika continues to be impressive. Considering how good Coraline and ParaNorman were, not shocking. Fantastic animation, great characters and action scenes, and just a great adventure movie.

Sully. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a good film, one of the better Clint Eastwood directed ones recently. Hanks is at the top of his game, and the ending of the film leaves you very satisfied.

Midnight Special. Kind of an indie movie, lots of science fiction elements to it, the less you know about it before seeing it, the better. Trust me on that.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. You may laugh, since this is a Michael Bay film, but I enjoyed it a lot. It's a tad corny at times, with plenty of "F*ck yeah America" moments, but it also had characters you came to care about, and some of the most legitimately intense shootouts I've seen in the last couple of years. It surprised the hell out of me, but I dug this movie. It's worth a shot, and also on Netflix Canada, at least it was last month.

The Green Room. Group of punk rockers get trapped and hunted by a group of white supremacists, the leader of which is played by Patrick Stewart. Some graphic kills, nothing complicated about it, but it's an intense thrill ride, and a bit overlooked.

10 Cloverfield Lane. It's not found footage like the original Cloverfield, but it's a really tense thriller, with an incredible chameleon performance by John Goodman. The small cast gives everyone time to develop. The ending sequence is hit or miss, but definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Hell or High Water. Kind of works as a modern set western. Pretty simple story with a lot of layers. When I first walked out of the theater, I thought it was good. But I thought about this film for days. It got better the more I thought about it, and it's great in my eyes. Top 5 of the year for sure for me, and also my favorite final scene and ending to a movie this year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Member

Blogs:
    See my post above. I got you. I recommend checking all 8 of those out, but Kubo, Hell or High Water, Midnight Special and Nice Guys are the big 4 of the list

4. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Very few new films caught my eye this year, but if you need a list of good films, I'm sure I could put one together. Start at the bottom of AFI's 100 in 100 list (the original one). Anyone who hasn't seen them all has something to watch!

5. Mark CM

Blogs:
    Looking for new movies. Although I have been putting off going over the AFI list and watching the few I haven't seen. One day!

6. Mark CM

Blogs:
    Great list. I missed Midnight Special but really wanted to see it because I loved Mud so much. I've read good things about Hell or High Water and Nice Guys was criminally underseen (I took my dog to see it).

I've actually heard 13 Hours is really good. It's on Netflix and I'm going to watch it. Although a very, very flawed director, I do surprisingly like Michael Bay stuff sometimes. He's not a deal breaker for me.

7. Cib3rNaut

Cib3rNaut Guest

Blogs:
    I watched the new StarTrek, although noticed it seemed to be the combination of many old reproductions of films into one solid new film. At many points I couldn't pertained to if I had already seen the film or if it was brand new. The audio was probably the better side of the movie. Some of the characters were very boring unlike the other films in the series, other new ones had most the roles which seemed to detract from the initial USS Enterprise crew that was in the original films. It seemed more like the one female alien from the planet they were on was really the main character, which really hasn't happened in other versions.

8. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie Staff Member Mod Squad

Blogs:
    Nobody wants my opinion on this :hilarious:

9. Mark CM

Blogs:
    I do!

10. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Member

Blogs:
    Btw see Arrival if you haven't. Amazing

11. Mark CM

Blogs:
    Definitely going to see it. Love Denis Villeneuve's films.