1. If you had an old account at the OLD OLD Nexopia, you can get that account back by resetting your password.

Click Here to Reset Your Old Account's Password.

Alternatively, you can Register a New Account!

I need somewhere to VENT

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by skrinkle, May 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

1. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    When I adopted my cat he was obese and although his weight went down he did develope diabetes recently. I've been googling the shit out of it and I keep coming across posts from people debating putting their pets down because they can't afford or don't have time to treat diabetes. WTF. Am I the only one who thinks if you get a pet it's your job to take care of them? I can't exactly afford a diabetic pet either but I'll use credit cards til we're both dead >=((((((

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Posta

Posta Well-Known Member

Blogs:
    This is why I feel so strongly about pet insurance. Pets are wonderful but eventually at some point they run into health issues. Best of luck to you Hun

• Love Love x 1
  3. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    Yes!!! I should research pet insurance for next time. Thanks

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Posta

Posta Well-Known Member

Blogs:
    I pay like, 35$ a month and they'll cover 7,500 a year. I have a Sphynx though. Your cat may be cheaper

5. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    $35 is still a great price imo. Last summer my cat had an abscess that cost $650 to drain lmao qq it's never ending.

6. Posta

Posta Well-Known Member

Blogs:
    Ouch. I don't like surprise expenses. :nailbiting:

7. Karlijn

Karlijn Active Member

Blogs:
    I agree. If you can't afford a pet, including vet bills, then you shouldn't take one!

8. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    I made a tweet about this an a follower is telling me 1000 excuses and one is "the pet might fight and injure itself if you try to give it shots". o_O They put their dog down cuz they thought it would hurt itself while getting shots. I'm dead.

9. Karlijn

Karlijn Active Member

Blogs:
    They did't say anything about their pets getting autism?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
  11. Wrecky's Spirit Animal

Wrecky's Spirit Animal Active Member

Blogs:
    I personally believe if its something that effects their quality of life and theyre constantly in pain then its selfish to keep them here. If your cat is fine other than being diabetic go for taking care of it, but if it's suffering do the humane thing.

12. Vassago

Vassago Member

Blogs:
    Hi Skrod, how've you been doing?!

I wish I had invested in pet insurance when I first got Boris, I'm never going to make that mistake again. He has cost me over $10,000 in vet bills but he's been worth every penny.

13. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    People's ideas of what suffering is is whack tho. People argue that giving injections 2x a day is causing a pet to suffer.

Honestly the diet change is a zillion times more expensive than his medical bills I wish there was insurance for that

14. Karlijn

Karlijn Active Member

Blogs:
    People think that a dog with three legs is suffering too. A lady down the street has a white shepherd with three legs. I've never sen a friendlier and happier dog in my life. He just can't run as fast as the other dogs, but they don't care.

15. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    Yeah :( my friends grandma had two poodles and one only had three legs. But they were both so hyper and ran around together

16. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie Staff Member

Blogs:
    Strongly agree with Posta! My dog was obese when we adopted her but generally in good health otherwise. She developed kidney stones a few years later and had to have surgery. There was never a question in my mind about putting her down. It was a rough recovery but worth every penny. She's still a fat fuck but we exercise her regularly and she's on a special diet now so she doesn't get stones again.
    It breaks my heart how easily some people can dismiss their pets when they stop being perfectly healthy. Would you put down a family member that got sick?! Jfc :mad:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wrecky's Spirit Animal

Wrecky's Spirit Animal Active Member

Blogs:
    Depending on the illness yeah. If it was their wish.

18. Karlijn

Karlijn Active Member

Blogs:
    Ah, but there's the catch. Have you ever heard of a pet saying it was their wish to die?

19. Posta

Posta Well-Known Member

Blogs:
    Yes definitely. We had a 16 year old German Shepherd and she had horrid hip dysplasia. One night she just laid there and cried. We took her in

20. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie Staff Member

Blogs:
    I was talking about treatable illnesses. If your grandma became diabetic I seriously doubt she'd ask to die.
    My point was a lot of people don't think their pets lives are worth the cost of treatment. :(
    My friend had a cat from when she was a teenager, he was an old guy and he had cancer. She went into massive debt paying for his treatments and specialty food when she was a broke student, barely paying her rent.
    That's the level of devotion pet owners should have imo. Some people may not agree, but to me pets are ranked above friends and family. They are the ones that are always there for you and only ask for your love.
    *Plays the sad Sarah McLaughlin animal song*

• Like Like x 1