1. If you had an old account at the OLD OLD Nexopia, you can get that account back by resetting your password.

Click Here to Reset Your Old Account's Password.

Alternatively, you can Register a New Account!

I need somewhere to VENT

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by skrinkle, May 19, 2017.

1. Wrecky's Spirit Animal

Wrecky's Spirit Animal Active Member

Blogs:
    If you can see it in their face everytime they get up that theyre in pain or suffering they dont have to be vocal about it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Wrecky's Spirit Animal

Blogs:
    Theres a point where its not worth it. Dakota was 14. Pitbulls traditionally live to 10. She got cancer lost weight wouldnt eat moving became a chore for her so we decided to leave her some dignity and put her down. As much as Id still love to have her around. Sometimes you have to get the fuck out of your own way and do right by someone or something else. I feel i made the right choice and no amount of the guilt tripping in this thread is going to change my mind on my decision.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie Staff Member

Blogs:
    I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone boo, what I said was only my opinion. At some point they are too far gone and the most humane thing to do is end the suffering. But I still maintain that pet insurance is a must to give your furbaby every opportunity to recover.
    I might be overly adamant on this because I'm not having kids, so pets are my dependants and I would go to the ends of the earth for them. I assume that's how parents of human children feel :p

4. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    Cancer is obviously a lot harder to treat and if it's untreatable there gets to be a time. My dog had bone cancer when he was 13 and was put down after pain meds stopped working.

Diabetes tho for me as soon as the vet brought back the glucose results I was like TY JESUS cuz it's very treatable. I was so scared his increased urination was a kidney issue.

• Love Love x 1
  5. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    I look at putting down a pet the same way I look at doctor assisted suicide. A doctor isn't gonna write you a prescription to die for diabetes. They will for end stage cancer.

6. Wrecky

Blogs:
    @skrinkle I agree with you, I'm glad it was only diabetes and not something worse like cancer. I'm sure your kitty will live a long life with you :)

7. Karlijn

Karlijn Active Member

Blogs:
    I see it in my great-grandmothers face everytime she gets up that she is in pain and suffering. That still doesn't mean she wants to die.
    My point is that it's easy with humans. They can decide for themselves when it has been enough, as long as they are still capable of expressing their own wishes.
    With animals it's a lot more difficult. First of all they instinctively hide their suffering. Secondly, even if we know that they are in pain, does that automatically mean that their life isn't worth living anymore? To use my great-grandmother as an example again; she is in pain every day, but she still enjoys music, books, friends, sitting in the sun and our company. What is unbearable suffering for one person doesn't have to be that for the other. It's only the person themselves who can make that call.
    Pets can't do that, and it's up to use to make that decision for them.
    Sure, if an animal ha cancer, is just lying there, whining, and doesn't want to eat, then it's pretty clear. But if a dog has severe arthritis, has trouble walking, but still wags its tail when it sees you or one of its other humans? I have never had to make that decision, and I hope I never will.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. skrinkle

skrinkle Member

Blogs:
    My dog had really bad arthritis for years before the cancer and that reminds me of something else. Small frequent walks really eased his pain and I know people who are "too busy" to even walk their damn dogs.

Also in researching diabetes in cats I've come across people who can't handle the urinating outside the litter box which can be a symptom of several cat health issues. One person who made a thread was upset because his wife was making him put his cat down because of the urination issue. I would get a divorce for real. And that's actually how I got my old cat. He was going to be put down by someone I know because he peed on carpets so I took him.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Wrecky's Spirit Animal

Blogs:
    Pro-tip i still dont give a shit :3

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  10. Wrecky

Blogs:
    • Love Love x 1