1. If you had an old account at the OLD OLD Nexopia, you can get that account back by resetting your password.

Click Here to Reset Your Old Account's Password.

Alternatively, you can Register a New Account!

What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'TV & Movies' started by Mark CM, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Mark CM

Mark CM Administrator Staff Member

Blogs:
    Movie theatre, drive-in, TV, online, etc.

2. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie Staff Member

Blogs:
    I'm in the middle of The 4400 so I haven't watched a movie for a few days. Next one I'm going to see will be Suicide Squad even though everyone says it's terrible :p

3. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
  4. Mark CM

Blogs:
    It's terrible, but entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SirJordan

SirJordan Guest

Blogs:
    Suicide Squad

• Like Like x 1
  6. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    It looks and sounds worse than League of Extraordinary Gentleman or Wanted...

Is it? lol

7. SirJordan

SirJordan Guest

Blogs:
    I didn't think it was that bad actually

8. Mark CM

Blogs:
    I didn't see either of those. It's just trash. Albeit entertaining trash. Will Smith is good. My biggest issues were that the villains weren't very interesting and the FX were pretty bad.

9. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Then I definitely won't bother.
    And, I don't understand why so many movies have crummy special effects
    There was a time that filmmakers would cut the scene in such a way to minimize how complicated the effects needed to be. Sure, less sensationalism, but better movies, because you weren't constantly distracted by crap.

Seriously, North By Northwest's budget was under 5 million.
    In today's dollars that's what, a 20 million dollar budget?

That film is a better, more enjoyable movie to watch than 90% of the "blockbusters" that are currently coming out of Hollywood.

Challenge: Take a transformers movie and time the scenes where:
    - no people are visible/talking in the scene OR
    - nothing in the scene but cgi is fighting cgi

... These movies nowadays have about 11 minutes of actual plot and 100 minutes of CGI fluff. If they fuck that part up, what's left?

10. Wrecky

Blogs:
    I heard the music featured is decent at least. But other than that people are ripping it to shreds. I might have to go see it tonight :p

11. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    That's the same as saying "Transformers was good because of the Linkin Park song" =P

I'd prefer to pay Linkin Park $10 for their album than pay $10 to see Transformers in theatres.
    (admittedly, I won't do either, but if I had to...)

Edit: "Transformers" used to broadly describe "Modern, CGI-based, action film", you can swap that for "Spiderman" or any other similar (plotless) action movie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wrecky

Blogs:
    I can't say because I haven't seen it, but apparently the music was well thought out and corresponds well to each scene. I will have my own feedback tonight, but I'm hoping this is true!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  13. -Toxxic;;*

-Toxxic;;* Active Member

Blogs:
    Suicide Squad was good in my opinion. I went to be entertained and have a couple laughs, it fulfilled that. Not amazing by any standards but worth a viewing. If you want something with a well thought out plot and less CGI you would be better off not choosing an action film. ;)

Last movie I saw was also a Will Smith film funnily enough - Independence Day. I'd never seen it and wanted to watch the new one. So now I'm caught up I'll probably do that. I also watched Armageddon last night because I'd never seen it. People rave about that movie but I found it pretty boring.

• Like Like x 1
  14. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    There used to be action films that had some intelligence.
    The problem is, the intelligence has been replaced with CGI
    CGI in itself isn't the issue, but if it's not perfect, then the movie has nothing left.

R.E.D. is an action film and it has some intelligence
    Sure, it's funny, but there's still a lot of action.

15. Wrecky

Blogs:
    Going with the theme of Independence Day and Armageddon you should also check out Deep Impact if you haven't already seen it. I think they all came out around the same time lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. -Toxxic;;*

-Toxxic;;* Active Member

Blogs:
    @djfly Well I guess that depends what you're hoping to get out of the movie. If you're a CGI critic and are looking for flaws then yeah it's probably not gonna be a good time. However personally I realize that it's a movie meant for entertainment and that these things aren't real so they obviously aren't going to look it so I just take it as it is and roll with it. Just differing perspectives! :) (Also the reason I can love Doctor Who and not wanna gouge my eyes out watching it haha)
    As for the intelligence, you can usually tell from the trailer what direction the movie is hoping to go. You can clearly tell from Suicide Squad trailer that it's just meant for entertainment, not to make you think. I can't say that I found R.E.D. to be much more intelligent, but again that's just differing perspectives.

@Wrecky Cool thanks! There's another one with people going into the sun or something that I also need to see eventually... I apparently didn't want a lot of Sci-Fi action movies in the 90's.

• Like Like x 2
  17. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    intelligent film to me means the characters have some depth, the dialog has nuance, there are multiple threads to the story. it can still be an action film, or a drama, or a comedy, or a romance, or whatever.

I find a lot of movies shallow... part of a formula that has been done to death... and then Hollywood releases films that have been done to death that aren't even well done...

and I'm a *huge* movie buff. I watch a ridiculous amount of movies of all types... heh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. -Toxxic;;*

-Toxxic;;* Active Member

Blogs:
    An intelligent film to me means I had to use my intelligence to watch it. It makes me think and isn't predictable. I would describe what you said as a movie with a good plot.
    But I will agree that most movies nowadays are put out for entertainment and not so much their plot/intelligence. But I would also argue that that's okay. Sometimes it's good to just watch a movie because it amuses you. I also think that entertainment movies are the ones best on the big screen because of all the effects. If you want a more in depth movie looking for releases from film festivals would be better place to look than in the theatres.

• Like Like x 1
  19. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    All these movies that people call "entertainment movies" aren't entertaining to me, they're brainless and stupid.
    Let's start with... Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston, Michael Cera, and pretty much anyone they've ever been in a film with.

Except for Zoolander because that one actually has some intelligence to it if you dig deep. And the cameos help.
    Except for the one scene from Dodgeball where that kid gets hit in the head with a wrench. Funny as fuck.

20. -Toxxic;;*

-Toxxic;;* Active Member

Blogs:
    They are brainless and stupid, that's what people like about them. Although in my opinion the brainless and stupid movies are different from the entertainment movies. Brainless and stupid to me is like Dodgeball, Pineapple Express, Neighbours, etc. Entertainment would be Transformers, Star Trek, Marvel/DC movies, etc.

• Like Like x 1