And It Begins.....

Discussion in 'Adults Only' started by JadeBlackOlive, Apr 5, 2018.

1. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    First significant wildfire of 2018 burning near Lytton, B.C.
    [​IMG]
    cbc.ca
    Courtney Dickson 2018-03-23

B.C. scorpionfly discovery reveals prehistoric link
    [​IMG] © Edith Loring-Kuhanga/Twitter A 75-hectare wildfire is burning near Lytton, B.C.

The first significant wildfire of 2018 is burning in B.C.'s Interior but officials say it is under control.

The fire was initially reported Wednesday, covering about four hectares, two kilometres away from Lytton.

It has since grown to 75 hectares.

"A lot of the growth that we saw was actually a result of burn-out operations that the crews performed in an effort to suppress that fire," said Jody Lucius, fire information officer with B.C. Wildfire Service.

The fire is believed to be human-caused. No structures are at risk as a result of the fire.

Lucius said no growth in the size of the fire is expected unless there is a major shift in weather.

Smoldering at the centre of the fire is causing visible smoke from nearby communities and from highways 1 and 12.

Crews continue to monitor the fire to ensure it hasn't grown.

"Within the Kamloops fire centre it's not unheard of for us to have wildfires at this time of year," she said. "It's really too early in the season to predict what the rest of the season might look like."

© BC Wildfire Service The first significant wildfire of 2018 is burning just two…

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    what do they think caused it? Campfire?

3. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    Just said they believed it being human caused. But its scary already as our whole city was evacuated last summer due to wildfires. We were gone for 18 days, & don't care for a repetition. Fire seasons are starting sooner, lasting longer, & we keep getting hotter every year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. TyMorrison91

TyMorrison91 Newbie

Blogs:
    Of course the most beautiful province is just getting wrecked by wildfires :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. CoralFang**

CoralFang** suxbigbutthole

Blogs:
    With all the snow this year, it's going to be humid as hell July is going to be crazy with thunderstorms and that lighting is only going to make things worse.

Last year was bad... I can't imagine what this summer will be like.

The smoke was insane last year and that's just in Alberta.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    I figure to get a suitcase, & the cat carriers out & ready to pack next month. We don't drive so we got out on school buses to Prince George last year. We're somewhat disabled seniors & we ain't taking any chances of getting stuck. Look out any window of our home, & we see forest.

7. CoralFang**

Blogs:
    That sounds awfully scary. I hope you guy are safe and nothing happens!

• Like Like x 1
  8. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    Best to be prepared. We never thought we'd be evacuated last year, but we prepared anyway, & it paid off.
    We left a few days early on school buses before the official ''order'' to evacuate, & we were able to get to Pr. Geo. with little trouble. We stayed with our son who lives there.
    We had our own room, & it was much better than being stuck in traffic with 2 kitties, as the neighbours were who waited until the last minute. They had to go south to Kamloops & it took them 9 hours to do a 3 hour trip.

9. CoralFang**

Blogs:
    That's super smart of you! Good for you for being on top of things

• Like Like x 1
  10. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    I don't do well with sudden, so I organize, even if its for nothing. Better for the blood pressure if nothing else.
    When the evac orders came through, the neighbours had to get out right away, many hadn't packed anything, & many left their pets. No thank you.

11. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I can’t imagine leaving a pet behind :( that makes me so mad

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    Me either, which is why we had the carriers right beside the suitcase. They were able to sniff, play, & sleep in them so when it came time to go, we didn't have to hunt for them all over the house. They are also not outdoor cats so they weren't outside anywhere when we left. I also had food & treats in our lunch bag.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    So happy to hear you’re prepared for that - even if it doesn’t need to be used, you’re all set just in case. Everyone should do that, seems logical

• Like Like x 1
  14. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    We all live within forestry in much of BC, so it only makes sense to be ready when the news is on multiple times a day keeping us posted. We also have our city's app on our phones/tablet, etc.

• Like Like x 1