Another awful and pointless story that's probably fake

Discussion in 'User Topics' started by mikeconley11, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    So I started taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes a few months ago and people were really nice. The instructor asked me what my name was, I told him it was David. But then the next lesson he starts calling me 'Daniel-Son (probably spelt wrong)' like in The Karate Kid.

I didn't really know why he called me Daniel-Son, I thought maybe he thought I looked like/reminded him of the guy in The Karate Kid so I didn't tell him my name wasn't Daniel. But then the next lesson he would call me Daniel and at this point I couldn't correct him and tell him my name was David because I didn't correct him the first time he called me Daniel.

So I just went along with it and when people started asking my name, I just said my name was Daniel so there would be no confusion and awkward conversation about it. So the other day I was at a nightclub with my flatmates and I bump into one of the guys from Jiu Jitsu. He says "hey Daniel" and then my flatmates correct him and say my name is David. Then he says, "no, his name is Daniel". And then *cue the Curb Your Enthusiasm music*, so now I'm not sure if I'm going back to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu anymore because it's too embarrassing. Shame, I really was enjoying it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    Lol I'mma call you Daniel-san from now on too lol it's a show of respect in Japanese to attach "San" to a name.

3. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    You also probs should've just manned up and corrected him. Lawl a whole dojo calling you the wrong name :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  4. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Tbh I’ve let this happen before. Especially with older people who I’ve corrected a few times and they still don’t hear what I’m saying, so I just let them call me what they heard (which is usually kristy or Kristen) :headbang:

5. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    He wasn't Japanese though! He's from Newcastle lol

6. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    So your name isn't Skrinkle? How dare you lie to me. What's next? Next you'll be telling me that you're fucking another guy

Seriously though, I do that with old people all the time too

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    Was he being an ass or was it an honest mistake tho? I know joking with someones name can easily cause offense lol

8. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Hmm, he genuinely thinks my name is Daniel but he was messing around when calling me Daniel-San. I wouldn't say he was being an ass lol

9. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    Well then honest mistake! You should tell him your real name :)

10. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    He's been calling me Daniel for months, I can't just come out and say he's using the wrong name. There's a sheet you have to sign when coming into the dojo and it says Daniel on it

11. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    You could say ones your middle name but you prefer the other

• Like Like x 1
  12. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    Lol and this is why lying like a child with a problem isn't a good idea @mikeconley11 , in the adult world it gets you into troubs :rofl:

13. .:Batman:.

.:Batman:. Guest

Blogs:
    I think you can pull off being a Daniel bud!
    The only option now is to legally change your name so you can go back and enjoy yourself

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    I wasn't really lying, I just didn't want an awkward conversation correcting him of my name. If I corrected him, he'd be like "why didn't you correct me before?" and then I'd be like "uhhh" and it's just a mess

16. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Fun fact, Daniel Whelan is the real life author of The Box of Demons. In this book, there's a minor character who only responds to statements saying "why" and "how" etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Daniel Whelan

Daniel Whelan Member

Blogs:
    Why

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    Hahaha no doubt

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Because we love you, son. Now go to your room and brush your teeth

20. MarkFL

MarkFL Guest

Blogs:
    I would agree, that such an issue that's been allowed to go on, is going to be more embarrassing to rectify, but I would bite the bullet, and tell the man your real name, and get it cleared up. I think everyone involved would appreciate your honesty, albeit somewhat late in coming.