Any Other Rabbit Keepers?

Discussion in 'User Topics' started by Heather Ceana, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Heather Ceana

Heather Ceana Newbie

Blogs:
    I don't know if there are any other rabbit people here. I started with 6, was too careful with my control of the breeding, and ended-up buying some rescue rabbits from owners, who weren't keeping their rabbits under good conditions. At one point (about 2 years ago), I had 17. Many of them died from, what now looks like, heart conditions. The mother, Silke, just died last weekend from complications due to heart conditions. After losing my precious Hugo (about 8 years old - a rescue rabbit) in January, too, I'm down to 9. I'm trying to breed them, but I have 3 females. One has a definite heart condition and the other two are the children of Silke and Hugo. The eldest is supposedly 5, but Hugo's owner lied about his age. We only found out, when he started showing signs of old age (means about 7) when he was supposed to be about 4 years old. The others are 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, and 2. One of the 2 year olds is Silke's Grandson, and is already showing signs of a heart condition.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 867k

867k Guest

Blogs:
    My border collie doesn't fare well with small creatures, or anything really..
    But I do have two female Abyssinian guinea pigs that are almost 5 years old now, Zip and Zap!

Are heart conditions a common problem with rabbits?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heather Ceana

Heather Ceana Newbie

Blogs:
    I don't know, generally speaking. The first family of rabbits I had died of everything except heart problems, other than the one who was fearless. She got trapped under a blanket that covered the cages for winter. See, I moved from the Rhein-Wine valley near to the mountains in South-east Germany. The first winter almost killed 2 of my rabbits, so I started throwing blankets over the cages. I acquired two new rabbits in 2015, just before the family I had started dying. They are a different race. They spring around like crazy. I failed to foresee them springing on top of the blankets, and someone getting trapped underneath. The only "accidental" death. Turned out, that rabbit had thin heart walls.

I think that since they're prey, their little hearts cannot take much. They are really hard to raise, because they instintively hide weakness. This means that you often don't see that they're sick, until it's too late.

Guinea pigs are quite similar, aren't they? I cannot have cats or dogs. My grown son is still studying at the university, and has allergies to both. I started keeping rabbits when he was still young. They're really good, because they live in a shed outside, unless they're ill.

4. Naveed

Naveed Veteran

Blogs: