Does anyone know much about Canadian history?

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by skrinkle, Dec 27, 2017.

1. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Specifically about settlers and First Nations? My bfs last name is a Scottish last name, and I did some googling and apparently there was a Scottish settler with the same first and last name as him and his grandfathers brother, but there are no white people (as far as he knows) in his family history. So did this Scottish dude give them a Scottish name?? Or is it just a coincidence??

• Like Like x 1
  2. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    I would take a look into ancestry.com? Maybe they'll know how he got the name, or do they only cover biological lineage hrmm....???

3. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I got a free trial one time for ancestry.ca and I tried to find his family but I only found white people with his last name, no connections to his family. But maybe I just missed something. I wanna get DNA tests for us some time :pray:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarkFL

MarkFL Guest

Blogs:
    European settlers liked renaming everything they encountered, so I wouldn't be surprised if your bf has no European ancestry, yet bears a European name. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Lol he doesn’t believe me and thinks it’s a coincidence that Scottish people also use this last name, but I’m pretty sure some dumb white guy renamed his family :pee:

6. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    It would actually be pretty funny if Scottish clanspeople and First Nations here used the same name. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility, once everyone started speaking the same languages. But yea you could totally be right about some landowner or lord of some kind renaming his family :rofl:

7. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    No input from me, sorry. Just wanted to ask whether First Nations are Native Canadians and if Native Canadians are a thing

8. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    First Nations are native Canadians, but I’ve never heard anyone say native Canadians before lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    I'm a native Canadian. I was born here and my family has been here for hundreds of years now. Western Canada is my homeland, and I share it with many different type of people, some newcomers, some not. I disapprove of the Indian people of my region who are currently claiming that they own the land under Treaty 7. It's racist and hypocritical to claim anything different than the land(that isn't privately owned) belongs to everyone under equal opportunity law, and that under the law all men are equal. We have a Charter of Rights and Freedoms for a reason yo~

10. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I would avoid using the term Indian like that. I also think that we are guests here, and we have to follow the lead of the people who were here 10,000 years before us.

11. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    Yeah Indian is being seen as being more and more racist these days isn't it. Oh well, where I come from it's an acceptable term for peoples whom you don't know the tribe-name of. Like Native. Or First Nations.

And I don't ever plan on going back to Europe so I am no guest. If any Native wishes to teach me their ways then I am willing to learn but if anyone comes to me bringing violence then I will return the favor in kind. I don't approve of facism in any form, certainly not the headbutting ways of any savages trying to impose their dominance on "evil white folk".

12. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    First of all, I’m fairly certain we’re from the same city, and no one I know uses the term Indian. Secondly, you are clearly talking about a specific band, and can use the correct and specific name instead of a general term for all First Nations in Canada. Third, what violence? It’s a political discussion, no one is bringing violence. Fourth, I will destroy a bitch who uses the term savages to refer to First Nations people. Unforgivable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    You don't know about the Indian Wars that preceded the coming of the NWMP and the fact that without an army here to keep the peace we would descend into miserable territorial warfare again? The feds keep the peace, the RCMP are a good thing and white people are not evil for having been a part of something larger than themselves that brought peace and stability to a land. Canada is a GOOD country, the British Empire wasn't good but we sure as hell managed somehow to make something good of it all and I hate that people are attacking it simply to get bigger benefits cheques.

And Savage is a term I reserve for those that kill unnecessarily and indiscriminately, and they do exist, in all colors and peoples. I didn't call anyone specifically that, but they do exist. Or have existed in the past. Watch a documentary on Alberta's First Nations history. It was bloody.

14. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Bigger benefits cheques? Are you kidding with this bullshit? I’ve seen you post borderline racist stuff before, but now I’m sure you’re racist.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    Natives are pleasant enough people, but saying that they can do no wrong is totally wrong. Some of the worst rapists and murderers in our country are First Nations. And what about the murdered and missing Indigenous women? Many of them are done in by their own. Facts, sad facts.

16. WARNING-

WARNING- Member

Blogs:
    my first nation friend said some worker came here a while ago and he gave all the different areas new last names thats why theyre all so extra white
    he said that if you were in that area at the time you just got put in that reserve too
    does he know his native family name maybe hes going off his white name

17. tool

tool Addict

Blogs:
    No, you're not. Nationalism is a modern 19th century invention. Before that, migration was fluid and people move around a lot. If you're a guest in Canada then where is your homeland? Britain? Are you sure? You could be a guest there too since the native there were actually the Celts that were later replaced by the Anglo-Saxons.

18. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    All of his family uses the Scottish name, but I wonder if someone older knows a different name. They all still live on the reserve he’s from, so I bet they’ve kept a lot of family information that he just never asked about.

19. sharkbait.

sharkbait. Guest

Blogs:
    And I've had native friends and have helped natives with missing kids and have been helped by natives when I myself needed the help on more than one occasion. You thinking I'm a racist and calling me one doesn't make it so. I'm attacking a perceived slight made by people, not a people as a whole!!!

20. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    My background isn’t British, but nice try.

Classic racists move. “But but I have friends that are black!”