Does mental illness really exist?

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by FaelanTheFox, Aug 9, 2016.

?

Does mental illness really exist?

1. Yes of course, many people struggle with it everyday.

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. No, mental illness is just another excuse not to blame ourselves for our own actions.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. FaelanTheFox

FaelanTheFox Newbie

Blogs:
    What are your opinions on mental illness? Do you know anyone who is "mentally ill"? What is your experience with mental illness?

2. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    As much as I'd love to, I'm not going to bite down on this thread because I'll get myself in trouble =P

(good question though)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    This isn't a very PC thread. Mental illness is an invisible disease that more people than you'll ever realize live with and suffer from.
    My question is what made you bring this up, someone in your life, research for school?

• Love Love x 2
  4. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    THIS. Great question! Would love to know what makes you ask this (and not in as an attack, genuinely curious).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    Samesies, no hate here just curiosity. I know he's young and young people question everything.
    But it's a good rule to remember that people living with mental illness usually do not announce it, even to close family/friends. So @FaelanTheFox you might already have many people in your life that are affected. Food for thought anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FaelanTheFox

FaelanTheFox Newbie

Blogs:
    Just an issue I think about sometimes for personal reasons. I know several people with mental illnesses and have watched their struggle. I think that it is an important question to ask though, because I feel that misdiagnoses can be very easy as well as it being an easy way to place the blame for a perhaps not so ideal existence.
    I have noticed a tendency in a few mentally ill people I know to not look for solutions to their problems and just jump straight to blaming it on their mental illness or they need pills or everyone else is making their life shitty, never taking a step back to look at their own actions.

7. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    know what? **** it.

this is much like kids with ADHD. massively overdiagnosed.
    yes, there are a few people out there who cannot control their energy. at 34 years old, I still have issues with it (booze makes me bounce off the walls, i'm great fun, but WAY too much energy)... but my entire life, I've worked on finding ways to burn the energy rather than getting medicated into mush... parents feed their kids pop and candy and let them sit in front of a TV for hours on end, then wonder why they won't sit still at school...

so yes - absolutely, to answer your question, mental illness does exist... and, from my perspective, 5% of cases of diagnosed mental illness are actual illnesses, the rest are the typical lazy cows of the world who want everyone else to do everything for them, because nothing can possibly be their fault or responsibility.

8. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    And this is the part that isn't PC. Have you read any of those buzzfeed articles on what people suffering anxiety ect really need from their friends? It kinda goes both ways. Mental illness is absolutely real, and can be debilitating as hell. But those suffering are not doing themselves any favours by not looking for/accepting help. Some do, and live with it and work on it daily. Some can't or won't and need more help because it can be overwhelming to start seeing doctors and trying different medicine/therapy when you feel alone/isolated/worthless. Mostly people suffering just need to know they have support. Also I apologize if my opinion on this is unpopular or offensive. This tends to be a tricky topic.

• Like Like x 2
  9. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    I agree @Wrecky

But, I still think that the majority have no problem at all other than laziness... laziness is becoming the main mental illness.
    And ALLLLL of those crybabies distract from the people who actually need support and help.

10. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    Laziness can be a symptom though, I would give ALL people claiming mental illness the benefit of the doubt until I saw indicators proving otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    How about an example that has nothing to do with mental health:

People can apply to get a blue "handicapped' tag for their car to get preferential parking.
    Where is the line between able and unable? Where is the line between disability and lazy?

Is "out of shape" enough to get a tag so you don't have to walk 200 feet from the car to the store?
    What about "broken leg that will heal?"
    What about "prosthetic leg that you're really good at using?"
    ... etc.

There's an obvious black and white: in long term care, you score someone's independence regarding their ADLs to determine their level of physical impairment... but the majority of the area is grey, in between "independent" and "total dependence".

So, who deserves the tag for their car?

(I'd argue, the line for "mental illness deserving outside help" is similar to the line of "physically disabled deserving the tag for the car"; prior to the line, you really should put on the big boy/girl shoes, suck it up and be an adult, you'll be surprised how well some effort works)

12. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    I think people that have disability parking *think* that they need it. But they also need a doctor to sign off on the application. Here we go into more choppy waters, but same for medicinal MJ, I know loads of people with medical cards, some truly need it and others have openly said they told the doctor anything they had to because they simply wanted it. There is no real way to distinguish real need Vs. people thinking they need or just wanting. So to be fair, benefit of the doubt it applied. If you can get a doctor to give you a marijuana card, a disability parking pass or a mental health diagnosis then that means you are entitled to it. It is up to the discretion of the doctor unless a third party can prove you are frauding

• Like Like x 1
  13. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    @Wrecky you nailed it.

My issue is as much with the system that allows people to get away with this. I actually knew a woman who managed to get her implants paid for by the BC government. (I didn't know her voluntarily, it was a girlfriend of a college buddy's ex)

She went to the doctor, cried, got a referral to a shrink, cried, and finally convinced the doctors that:
    "her mental health issues would all be resolved if she had huge breast implants because that would make her feel like a woman"

I'm glad that taxpayers paid for a stripper's tits. And this is just one example.

I have a tough time giving anyone the "benefit of the doubt" about *anything*. I have a scientist's brain. I need evidence. When evidence piles up, a theory emerges. When theories go un-disproved, they become scientific fact. I can accept that an individual has any number of mental/physical/whatever issues, but on a case by case basis, based on the evidence available.

Just because someone says "I'm depressed and can't get out of bed", doesn't mean they have depression. Laziness is also equally (or more) likely...

I think that we'll eventually "find out" that we're wrong about much of mental health. That is my prediction.

Compare a few industrialized countries and look at the rates of mental health problems, if it's nature and not nurture, then rates should be more even... they're not. Much like obesity, another case where the "line" is being dragged in the wrong direction... people are generally inactive, lazy, self-absorbed, unwilling, sedentary, ... and all kinds of new problems are emerging because of it... so, though I accept some "issues" (mental, physical, whatever) are "nature", and are thus true medical problems/issues, I firmly believe that the majority is "nurture"... problems we've created ourselves and are now masking with meds rather than solving with effort...

(Also, maybe one day I'll post my story... heh... give my rant a bit of perspective.)

TLDR:
    My opinion has nothing to do with mental health specifically.
    I hold people, myself included, to a higher standard than most people do.
    I apply this standard across the board.
    I'm unwilling to accept the same excuses that most people accept.

*shrug*

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    I hear ya. I'm more on the side of innocent until proven guilty though. Just in case a legit suicide case gets dismissed, no one would want that on their conscience.
    I was also talking about ALL mental illness, schizophrenia to social anxiety and anything else under the umbrella

15. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    And my attitude completely accounts for *real* problems. It doesn't take long for a doctor to diagnose schizophrenia. It is universally accepted that there are genetic predispositions and very little can be done as far as "nurture" to prevent it. I wholeheartedly agree that many mental illnesses are true illnesses. My complaint is about the bulk of the cases (not the bulk of the illnesses). The bulk of the cases are general depression. Those are the ones I have a tough time taking at face value.

16. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    But what about seasonal depression? (SADS), Postpartum, Anxiety triggered, trauma triggered, grief triggered? So many different ways to be depressed. Each one has its own factors to consider *how* they became depressed before you can even start to think about it being legit or laziness.

17. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Again. black and white and a lot of grey.
    Where I see the line and where the Internet White Knights see the line aren't the same.
    I expect more from people before I can accept "illness" or "disorder".

It is just that simple.

I'm not saying these disorders don't exist, I'm not implying that there aren't people suffering.
    I AM however suggesting that society calls a lot of things "disorders" that are really just "lazy people"...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Cib3rNaut

Cib3rNaut Guest

Blogs:
    As a person who has been misdiagnosed with a trait of mental illness, I could honestly say right now the system is completely corrupt and full of misinformation toward anyone going to see a doctor or mental health staff. The title of illness is usually made within very short amounts of appointments and most the people who are trying to resolve an issue are partially lying as to claim hardships as part of a more complex indeterminate scheme. Usually to claim Government services or free Narcotics whilst not working. The sad part of everything is most of these individuals would regain their health with normal food and exercise although doctors and medical staff are as uneducated as the teachers who taught them.

I myself knew I had been poisoned more than once and the doctor claimed I had such and such disorder to justify placing myself on the highest most expensive type of medication available under her supervision with many very short appointments to fill allocated placements in her schedule. I knew I had Ergot poisoning from a younger age which is completely truth, but was abused and tortured as a result of no one listening to myself during the process. The untold amount of lies some doctors tell to others is staggering. I felt as though I had been sexually molested whilst in their supervision more than once, and in the years after the incidents.

If you haven't a clue what Ergot poisoning is, it is the allergic reaction to certain types of grain and rye found in a large amount of food products. Basically the same incident that happened with the Salem Witch Hunts. After eating even a small amount or grain, I have the same response as taking moderate doses of LSD Or LSA. Which isn't that great if you are broke and cannot afford anything except for fast food and sandwiches.

The worst part of the entire scenario is the medication actually resulted in a huge period of induced insomnia after shortly before having suffered a head injury. For over 2 years multiple times everyday I considered killing myself from so much pain and suffering caused by one doctor and one police officer. During the last year of insomnia I started reading intensely 24 hours a day to try and better myself basically considered the entire time that death was emanate and coming to know that whatever basically happened, happened.

Electronic Harassment is very common with people that have mental illnesses since they cannot put together enough cognition to right the wrongs being done to themselves. I feel that here in Canada the RCMP is constantly abusing many people with some form of illness, myself I went through basically a near death experience where I was subdued by police officers. And for years and years after whilst recovering and never leaving my home, abusive messages and other explicit materials on certain officers were sent to my computer internet feeds on and on and over and over again. To the point where I constantly thought I would be rearrested for something I had not done. This fueled the feeling of wanting to commit suicide.

It's just very interesting after doing all the research myself that a simple dose of vitamin B3 was actually the cure for my state of bad emotions and quote unquote illness, instead of a not needed 700 dollar a month medication that the doctors potentially claim kickbacks on constantly. Also wondering how much stock market value is made on these falsified prescriptions when picked up every month at the pharmacy, when so many are trapped into taking them.

I would legally take action against everyone that physically, emotionally and mentally abused myself. Although it is nearly impossible since almost everyone is a straight up liar and covers each other for the bulk amounts of profits made. There were several incidents when nurses at the hospital I was at verbally caused more harm than needed. One time I was drugged upon intake into the hospital illegally itself and found out the nurses had been in the room with myself that contained no physical camera while I was passed out. This caused many uncountable days of trauma thinking I had been molested or raped while being passed out around them.

Also after looking into my medical report itself, I found one doctor had written over 50% lies in pages and pages of documentation itself which led to years and years of post stress as a resultant. It was all manufactured stories like a script to justify legally holding myself in basically prison conditions for quite an amount of time. Mental Health practitioners are more insane than the patients. I basically would never have suffered a day in my entire life if never acquainted with any of them. Instead 1/3rd or my life has been spent waiting in fear of being physically abused yet again or rearrested, I as of recent no longer really feel any physical senses of pain or pleasure and have lost all reason to be afraid of anything as I don't really care what happens.

It is ridiculous how many corporations and individuals I could legally sue due to these events taking place. Although I cannot afford an good enough legal team to go over everything and all my lost time. So instead I wait for revenge to be served through karma itself, and never make direct contact with anyone that has ever negatively affected my life. Which unfortunately contained some of my teenage friends and people I would have liked to have known.

19. SailorMan

SailorMan Member

Blogs:
    yes mental illness does exist........PTSD.....enough said.

• Like Like x 1
  20. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    I agree, it does exist.
    The point I'm making is that these disorders have been so massively exaggerated by people making excuses that it distracts from the point.
    Most people see the victims, I see those abusing the illnesses.

In this particular case, I think there is a line after which you cannot claim the "trauma" wasn't actually "trauma" and as such cannot have caused "stress". For example, I recently heard a wonderful story about someone who claimed (at least tried to) PTSD after being fired. Thanks to the Internet, these people have a voice. The line of "decent behaviour" has shifted more than most people realize.

We forgive way too much in the name of "not their fault", for whatever reason. (The claim of) "mental illness" is one of the most popular, because nobody dares challenge someone's mental illness. Yes. Exists. Major problem.

but only 5%.