i don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by superbigcat, Feb 8, 2019.

1. superbigcat

superbigcat Newbie

Blogs:
    idk if this is the right place to get help on choices, but i figure it's far enough away from the people i know, and i've know some of you for longer than expected. so...

i'm bored of my job. it pays well, i have good benefits, i get to drive a truck across the lower mainland and fraser valley all week. the most hassle and stress is dealing with really shitty drivers and management bearing down for following routine procedures and chronic late start times. other than that it's a great job. being by myself on the road all day is pretty great.

they're considering switching to 4x 10 hour shifts, which would give me another day of for creative work: fiction writing, dj/music production, flow arts/fire performance practice. also giving me time to complete the suzuki samurai rebuild i've been putting on the back burner with the least amount of time.

a couple of jobs came up in dispatch and logistics that would allow me to transfer some of my skills and knowledge with computers and transport. a new job would be interesting and would shake things up. if i do get and interview and land the job, the only things that would hold me back is less pay and pausing on any plans to relocate to vancouver, where i pretty much do everything. i'd have to work in surrey, would lose company health benefits, and my hours might not be as good.

but it would be a new job.

should i stick with my current boring job and use the extra day off to focus on the creative stuff that i've been holding back forever? it could lead to a transition to creative work i've been trying to do for a long time.

or should i go try and get a new exciting job that might hold me back even more from the creative stuff that i've been holding back forever? i won't be bored, the pay might be better, but it could pull me away from creative work, of which may not find any success in the long run.

help me figure this out?

it's probably going to come down to what's important to me

2. Chivalry

Chivalry Member

Blogs:
    I'd say stick it out for another year or so, and develop your creative skills. I've done the office job before and it will probably be a boring job before long. After the year, your creative will be given a fair chance to flourish and the dispatch job will still be there if you need a change

3. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Sounds like the new opportunity may potentially lead to growth in the field, if you think that’s the case and that’s really what you want then it might be worth it.
    On the other hand, work life balance is the most important thing to consider when pickin a career (in my opinion). Your current position sounds like really ideal work life balance. You make money at your job and have time to pursue your passion in your days off. The job you do for money doesn’t have to be where you find fulfillment in your life. It’s ok to be bored if it means having low stress and a clear mind on your off time.

4. mei

mei Newbie

Blogs:
    It boils down to two options. Believe me, I was in your shoes when I applied to be an IT support technician at a school. I was a Denny's server in Maine for a good bit. I had to think that I would have to leave my friends behind in pursuit of a much higher-paying job,
    Option A: Keep your boring job, albeit with the upsides of extending your time of hobbies (assuming they put the 4x10 to use) and potentially higher pay than a new job.
    Option B: Go for the new job, with the benefits of excitement and a not so boring job. However, this has the consequences of lower pay, potentially less time for hobbies, and canceling your plan to relocate to Vancouver.

If it was me, I would wait another year to see how it pans out (with the 4x10 thing and how your hobbies work out)

5. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    Definitely give the 4x10 thing a try, an extra day off for you sounds like something that would help a lot, without having to lower your standard of living or give up your benefits

6. mcpon14

mcpon14 Bleeds Nexopia

Blogs:
    I love you.