I had swapped my cat to wet food

Discussion in 'Pets' started by SAKARINBO, May 29, 2018.

1. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Because it’s More healthy for kitties since it’s higher protein.
    But when I took him for his checkup he had lost 500 grams from last year putting him on the cusp of being under weight! Then I read the tin and based on his weight he should eat 2 tins per day but I can barely get him to finish half a tin a day.... he just licks the top for a few minutes and then leaves.

2. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    Cats are funny about food - they eat what they need though, hard to force them to eat more if they don’t want it

3. JadeBlackOlive

JadeBlackOlive Member

Blogs:
    Mine are picky & I feed both canned & dry. They eat what they want......or not.
    I'm forever buying different canned types because they won't eat the same thing at all times. They do however stick with the Iams natural dry.
    You can't force them to eat if they don't want to.

4. Karlijn

Karlijn Guest

Blogs:
    One of our cats was really picky about wet food. She only took a few bites of wet food with beef or tuna, but gut chicken she went crazy. She also had her favourite brand. Have you tried different varieties?

5. DateRape

DateRape Regular

Blogs:
    Yeah, dry food is all carbs. Wet food all the way.

6. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Yeah, tried a bunch. He likes to eat shrimp off my plate and mice he finds in the yard.

7. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    That’s far from true, a proper cat kibble has lots of protein, have a look at Orijen, which has 40% protein and under 17% carbs

They guarantee 85% of the ingredients in each package are fresh meat

8. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    When I picked Kaia’s food I looked at a lot of different brands, and while dogs are omnivorous, so other ingredients are important too, cats are carnivorous, and absolutely need mostly meat in their food - most wet food is as garbage as most kibble

The part that kills me is the price - I can pay $50 for 3 months worth of a food that she needs to eat 2/3 of a cup a day, or $25 for 15 pounds of food she needs to eat 2 cups a day because it’s mostly filler - so pay more for better food, but less per serving and she eats and poops 1/3 as much because she’s not eating garbage - people cringe at the price but don’t realize they’re eating so much less it’s the same as buying a 50 pound bag of the Walmart crap

9. tool

tool Addict

Blogs:
    Nah, the cat is trying to say the food is garbage.
    Feed it raw meat.

10. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Cut it up into bite sized cubes. It’s the texture that’s confusing and you have to teach him to bite it instead of lick it.

Also, cats should eat under 5% carbs. I just looked at Orijen and their trick is that while they don’t have grains, they do have other plant products which are just as bad for an obligate carnivore. Example from one of their foods: whole red lentils, whole green lentils, whole green peas, whole chickpeas, whole yellow peas, whole pinto beans, lentil fiber, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, whole zucchini, whole parsnips, carrots, whole apples, whole bartlett pears, kale, spinach greens, beet greens, turnip greens, dried brown kelp, whole cranberries, whole blueberries, chicory root, turmeric root, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rosehips, enterococcus faecium. Do those items look good for a cat to anyone??

Problems with dry food aren’t just carb content either. Cats in the wild will only eat fresh kill, and derive almost all of their water from that fresh meat. They aren’t naturally going to want to drink enough water, so their food needs to have a good amount of water in it. That’s why so many cats have urinary tract issues.

11. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    It has some vegetable matter, true, but it’s less than 15% of the total - it’s 85% meat (meat, fat, tendon etc - animal) and 40% protein, which is excellent.

Where the kibble you get at grocery stores is mostly filler, grains, and byproducts (chicken/beef/pork meal)

Even the stuff they sell at most vets is garbage. There are several companies that make food that wins awards because they quality and the overall composition is appropriate, Orijen is one of the companies that consistently rates in the top 5 best for cats and dogs

12. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    I tried cutting it into little cubes but he still would eat enough. I think for him maybe mix some little pieces in with the dry food and slowly increase the amount of wet and decrease the dry. He felt so skinny, I was getting worried. As soon as he is eating kibble he feels normal. He was even thinner through the winter when he wasn’t catching his own fresh food. You could see his ribs.