my "conservative" boyfriend

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by SAKARINBO, Feb 6, 2018.

1. jabbafett

jabbafett The Prodigal Salt

Blogs:
    I really should have paid more attention in Poli sci

2. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Maybe there should be a maximum income as well as a minimum. Lol I’d vote for the representative campaigning on maximum incomes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tool

tool Addict

Blogs:
    Tax the rich, nuff said.

4. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    No, Harper and co were with Reform, which is so hard right the crazy right wing republicans think they’re too far right. They become the Canadian Alliance later. When the PC party blew government brutally, they lost all but 4 seats, and were decimated as a party. The Reform/Alliance took over what was left of the party in a merger that formed the CPC, which was just the 3rd renaming of the reform party.

Reform is more a social conservative movement (care more about fighting marijuana than poverty, more about banning abortion than health care), with a corporatist financial bent, cut taxes, cut programs to pay for tax cuts, **** the poor.

5. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    They would still want to find a job that pays more than the proposed universal income if they went to school to learn a job skill. It can be hard to look for a job if you are working full time! And it can be pretty boring if you don’t have a job. I really believe that the same people who choose not to work now will choose not to work if there was a universal income.
    I’d actually really like to hear the opinions of some Canadian economists, politicians and especially sociologists. It is hard to say how people would react.

6. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    I don’t remember where it was, probably Norway or some such, they passed a law that the highest paid employee in a company could make a maximum of 4x the lowest paid worker in the company. A lot of people got raises

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Awful idea. Is your boyfriend Pol Pot in disguise?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    But what about all the people who are working part time making like 10k a year? Most people who work shit jobs don’t get full time hours, and the reason they work those shitty part time jobs is because there just isn’t a better job available. You really think having a free income will make them want to continue the shitty part time retail job rather than sit at home?

9. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    They wouldn’t be making enough to pay it in back tax. I think the tax system reform would have to work in a way that encourages people to continue working if they aren’t making enough to live off of. If the universal income was say 12k but the poverty line is 20k and you made 10k that year then you would maybe have to pay the first tier tax rate on your earnings. But say there is a second line maybe 40k where then you have to pay back the 12k universal and it doesn’t bump you to a 52k salary tax bracket. Idk but it would just have to be planned out in a way that didn’t discourage work.

10. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    You guys don't have a benefits system? Canada is a dump

11. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    I’m into that

• Like Like x 1
  12. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    And so if we’re talking about a large amount of money accessible to everyone, what happens when all these 20 year olds start spending all this money on drugs and dumb shit?

13. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Of course we do but people are taking advantage of the system and other people slip through the cracks. There were so many homeless people in uk don’t think your system is so great.

14. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Taking away benefits isn't going to solve anything though, if that's what you're arguing

15. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    This is where the sociological studies would come in. I personally don’t think it would happen that way. Wikipedia “There are concerns that some people will spend their basic income on alcohol and drugs.[17][33] However, studies of the impact of direct cash transfer programs provide evidence to the contrary. A 2014 World Bank review of 30 scientific studies concludes that "concerns about the use of cash transfers for alcohol and tobacco consumption are unfounded".[34]

16. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Unfounded for the current system tho, not a system where everyone get handed money, especially young people. You really think me/Anthony/Katherine/that whole group of people wouldn’t have spent it all on drugs and parties? And we were fairly normal/average kids.

17. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    It’s pretty hard to receive benefits if you’re NFA, Pretty hard to get an address if you don’t receive your benefits. I don’t think anyone should have their benefits taken away, I think the way in which financial assistance is provided needs to change. The current system doesn’t work. People slip through the cracks and the cycle of poverty continues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Also think about the other kids like Sam and his friends. Would they get the same money? Even though their wealthy parents supported them through their 20s?

19. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    But why would offering those benefits to a bunch of middle class 20 year olds be the solution to poverty and homelessness?

20. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    I don’t think you were fairly normal/avg, only in your social circle. And how many years did that kind of partying last? The income I was talking about would t hve allowed Katherine to live in tht apartment and sustain that kind of partying without also a job. If I had that money in addition to the weekend job I worked while doing my undergrad I would have moved out and that taste of freedom for sure would have matured me faster rather than slower. The only real way to know how the majority is going to react is if the system is implemented and tested for long enough that the culture can adapt, maybe a generation who knows.