my "conservative" boyfriend

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by SAKARINBO, Feb 6, 2018.

1. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    A universal system means a middle class 20 year old getting the benefits doesn’t prevent anyone else from receiving it. Maybe if that 20 yr old is still a dependent of their parents they will have to say so on their tax return and owe that money back. Just because your parents have money doesn’t mean they continue to financially support you after you leave home.

2. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    And if every 18 year old can afford to move out, where are they gonna live? What’s going to happen to housing prices and will more places have rules about renting to young people? Lots of young people already have a hard time finding places to live because of their partying peers reputations. So if suddenly there’s a flood of young people looking to rent, landlords might make it even harder to find a place willing to accept them.

3. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Who said anything about 18. Maybe the city should allow secondary suits in more areas. Maybe there should be more condo and apartment buildings rather than all the suburban cookie cutter 2 storey single family detached dwellings.
    I don’t know why you are so against this idea, instead of thinking of ways to avoid potential issues you are just shutting down a system that actually treats people equally and you would potentially benefit from.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jabbafett

jabbafett The Prodigal Salt

Blogs:
    The only new developments now are literally all condo and row housing

5. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I assume you would receive benefits starting when you turn 18 and become a legal adult, no?

Not everyone who owns a home wants to rent out part of it to low income people/young people/jobless people. People generally don’t like sharing homes, that’s why there are so many single family homes lol.

And the problem is this system doesn’t treat people equally. Handing the same amount of money to a healthy 25 year old who wants to party and live at home as an unhealthy 40 year old who lives in a crumbling apartment is not equality.

6. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    What about Dylan, though? You think he wouldn't have spent it all on drugs?

7. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Equality to me =/= treating everyone the EXACT same. Equality to me is fulfilling everyone’s needs individually.

If I’m thirsty and James is dehydrated, handing us both the same 16 ounce glass of water isn’t a solution lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Who dat?

9. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Dylan

10. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    Students don’t qualify for welfare because they are students, how is that fair? Some students don’t have parents in their city to bum off of during their studies so they rely on loans and student aid in addition to their weekend job. How is that fair? Most of the money the government will give them has to be paid back with interest which is a huge burden to most that will take years to pay back.

11. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    That’s why there’s lots of help for students though. Are they still gonna get that welfare money if they get scholarships? Grants? What about if their parents are paying their tuition/rent?

Also how would that affect someone like James? Does he still get his government money or is that cut?

12. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    you have to report scholarships and grants on your income, so it depends on that calculation. I don't know, I'm not an expert at any of this stuff to fine tune everything but I am sure when all the wrinkles are ironed out it makes more sense.
    The more jobs have the ability to be automated the more this plan makes sense btw. There should be more than enough resources to take care of everyone, but not everyone has the means to purchase or has access to those resources. Some people think food stamps are a good method to make sure everyone has what they need but not much stops people from trading food stamps for drugs. And what happens if I don't need food, I need a new pair of work boots?

13. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    You sound like my criminology module

14. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Then you use part of your welfare cheque for boots. If you genuinely need welfare, it’s available. But I do not like the idea of millions of middle class raised kids with middle class educations living in their parents middle class homes and no health issues getting welfare. Because really that is what you are arguing for, is the middle class young people. If you want to help people who really need it, focus on real low income families and reserves. There are so many people who could use more help, and spreading it out among everyone, the majority being people who don’t truly need it, is weird and selfish imo.

But this reminds me of the time Michael was against.. what was it.. Trudeau changed something which would allow someone like me to get money back right away rather than waiting for tax season and he was against it. I don’t think he has a clue when it comes to poverty or welfare.

15. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    When the pilot project in Finland works out and they inevitably expand it then we can argue again. I believe if implemented correctly everyone would be better off with universal income. I think the current social security net lets some slip through and others have no incentive to work if their benefits stop when they find a job.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. handbanane

handbanane Guest

Blogs:
    Family Feud: Nexopia Edition

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Love x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  17. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    [​IMG]

• Love Love x 2
  18. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
  19. Liriel

Liriel Newbie

Blogs:
    Do you know the difference between helping the needy and.... murdering 60% of your country, or no?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Just saying, communism doesn't work in practice.