NEW users say hi!

Discussion in 'User Topics' started by Wrecky, Aug 13, 2016.

1. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    qft

2. quintexine

quintexine Newbie

Blogs:
    Interestingly enough, the majority of niche web-forums these days use the same layout as what was developed by Timo (all hail). I've always deduced that nex was sold because someone saw value in distributing that forum architecture. I might be wrong, but I still see :sex: around the further corners of the internet, so who knows.

3. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    I believe many of those :err: and :sex: emojis were very common on sites with B-Code implementations... trance.nu used a similar set of emoticons (that site too is defunct) as well as a couple others around the same time. I wouldn't go as far as say that Nexopia was "first", but it definitely among the pioneers of social networking.

I always assumed that: Nexopia needed capital as it expanded, was probably mostly owned by venture capital companies, those companies sold to make (back) as much as possible, but the demise of profile-based social media had already started.

/my assumptions

4. quintexine

quintexine Newbie

Blogs:
    I just like to think the magic lives on elsewhere

5. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    if only... =(

6. Cib3rNaut

Cib3rNaut Guest

Blogs:
    We need to find the room in that Military base where the internet is not corrupted by every singular app geared towards bending persons realities of the world like a puppet

7. Sissy**

Sissy** Newbie

Blogs:
    Well didnt nex start charging people for subscriptions? I kinda felt that was when it started goin down hill!

8. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Nex sold plus right from the beginning, it was never required and was always available. That wasn't the downfall.

9. quintexine

quintexine Newbie

Blogs:
    It started to go downhill when they rolled out the new profile picture thingy. People hate change and facebook was just becoming common. Changes kept coming, people still hate change, more left.

10. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    They brought back the old version of the slider though, you could pick between them.

I think it was a combination of a lot of things. The increased popularity of Facebook, the increased global reach of social networking, downtime, lack of new features, lack of new users, etc...

11. Cib3rNaut

Cib3rNaut Guest

Blogs:
    The downfall of Nexopia was all the younger population aged out and no one new signed up. At the exact same systematic time many other new social media sites were created for both the ones looking for something new with the coolness factor of other sites, many of the would be new members just evaded Nexopia and signed onto something else.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. skullpirate01

skullpirate01 Guest

Blogs:
    Instagram man, that's what killed nexopia.com.... Instagram.

13. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Naw, it was the combo of Facebook and Tumblr.

14. Cib3rNaut

Cib3rNaut Guest

Blogs:
    I found most forums started becoming unpopular around that time, and moving to a more RSS feed based prompting since there was just too many posts online, kinda like how Reddit does there business

15. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Exactly; And those who didn't adopt Reddit, adopted Facebook Groups.

16. Cib3rNaut

Cib3rNaut Guest

Blogs:
    What I didn't like about the start of social media was it was very transparent to myself that the design of the websites and services being used was a direct copy of many ideas that were already in society for many previous decades. They just took whatever was cool and copied pasted it into a format where certain age groups would associate with the context being shown. It was almost the combination of the top 5 websites back in the day being brought together as one. Picture Uploading Service, Instant Messaging, Address Book, Forum Feeds, Photo Albums. The new factor wasn't really there from the beginning for many users of my age that had computer skills and seen past the blatant combination of these services. I think if they hadn't had such a generation gap of computer users just starting out and not understanding the previous internets themselves it wouldn't have been as successful.

17. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    Back on topic and away from memory lane! Christ, y'all are so stuck in the past :P
    Hi to new users @Luce and @ani.ama :clown:

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. jameslilian

jameslilian Newbie

Blogs:
    hi

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Hi James!