SharePoint 2010: Beginning with SharePoint Designer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jacye Park, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Jacye Park

Jacye Park Newbie

Blogs:
    Getting Started with a Web Application for Testing
    Create first a web application where we are made some modifications. Choose any name for it, and be sure that it works correctly. I created in my test environment http://master.Spdev.local:888 [​IMG] ( this is only a dev/test environment )

You don’t have to fill this page with any data or document; we only will change the style of this page.

[​IMG]
    An Overview of SharePoint Designer
    SharePoint Designer is used for the management of SharePoint sites and lists, for creating and managing internal and external data sources, for creating views and forms to work with data, for creating workflows in order to represent business processes and finally SharePoint Designer is used for branding sites by customizing the look and feel.

SharePoint Designer 2010 can be downloaded for free from Microsoft while SharePoint Designer 2007 wasn’t free of charge at the release of SharePoint 2007 which changed during time. While SharePoint Designer 2007 offered you to edit SharePoint and non-SharePoint sites this has changed with the version published in 2010: With SharePoint Designer 2010 you can only edit SharePoint 2010 sites .

SharePoint Designer 2010 is available in a 32-bit and a 64-bit version. If you intend to use SharePoint Designer 2007 you must continue to use SharePoint Designer 2007. SharePoint Designer 2010 only connects to SharePoint 2010. If you want to install both versions side-by-side, you must download the 32-bit version of SharePoint Designer 2010, and install it after installing SharePoint Designer 2007.

One important complaint with the 2007 version was the quit difficult lockdown of SharePoint Designer 2007 which has changed with SharePoint Designer 2010: You can now easily manage the capabilities at the web application or site collection level.
    Install SharePoint Designer
    The first step in this process of course, is to get it installed. To do so, I am starting from the first site I have created in my new environment.

[​IMG]

Since I do not already have Designer 2010 installed, a dialog window pops up, basically letting me know that I do not have it installed, and I can do so. Just like SharePoint Designer 2007, SharePoint Designer 2010 will be free for all users. And since the Beta is all that is around now, that’s what it will install for me
    [​IMG]

I select the language I am looking to install SharePoint Designer in (English, German, Spanish, Japanese, French, Russian, and Chinese are other available languages that can be selected, in addition to English, as shown above), and choose my platform. Even though SharePoint 2010 is only 64-bit, SharePoint Designer 2010 is available in both 32 and 64 bit, as it is intended to be run from the desktop, and many of us still run 32 bit desktops, as we probably will for a long time to come.
    Once done, selecting the Download button goes out and fetches the right download, and prompts me to run and/or save it.

2. Mak1442

Mak1442 Raven Plus Member

Blogs:
    Interesting but too old for me. :(

3. Jacye Park

Jacye Park Newbie

Blogs:
    thanks, I will look for newer topics to update