Tell me about the old nexopia

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by .:Batman:., Jan 3, 2018.

1. .:Batman:.

.:Batman:. Guest

Blogs:
    Not so obvious, but obviously I have no idea of nexopia. I don’t even know how I got here. I’ve conducted myself some small details of the old site, such as people return here highly disappointed hoping to find it as it was left. Assuming not so much, what are the biggest differences? Why is it so different? Why is it not as popular as it was?
    Fucking GO! paint this picture so I can kind of understand.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    I kind of would like to know, too, lol. I read on Quora that it was one of the largest online communities in the world but it kind of doesn't seem that way, lol. Hmmmmm . . . . . lol. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. MarkFL

MarkFL Guest

Blogs:
    I can't tell you about the old Nexopia either, but I do know people can be whiny little grumblybritches when it comes to change. One person said the site software was so much more awesome back then (but could give no actual examples of why it was better), but I immediately knew that was BS because XenForo is one of the most highly regarded forum scripts available on the market today.

The old script was very likely not mobile friendly, and that would be a big deal breaker for most users now. The old script likely would not support PHP 7.x, or MariaDB 10.x without some serious rewriting. So, people just need to realize times have changed, and Nexopia is running one of the best scripts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. .:Batman:.

Blogs:
    I need to know, deds? Sign pics? The purpose of spotlight? Why so many returning people have so many blog posts? Who created this? Really anything.... why was it so popular is kind of my main concern. What was going on back then that is not happening today?

5. MarkFL

MarkFL Guest

Blogs:
    Social media hadn't completely taken over yet...that's it in a nutshell. :)

6. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    Probably their favorite posters are not here, anymore.

7. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I think the first bit of information you need to understand why it was so big, is that it was created BEFORE Facebook. Nexopia was similar to Facebook in that you created a profile, put up pictures, wrote blog posts, status updates, comments on friends pages, etc. Most people who used nexopia were using it the same way people now use Facebook. That’s why it was so huge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
  9. Punjabi Playboy

Punjabi Playboy Guest

Blogs:
    It was easier to get laid back then.

• Like Like x 4
  10. .:Batman:.

Blogs:
    ^v^v^v^
    But correct me if I’m wrong Strictly Canadian based?

11. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I wouldn’t say strictly. @CrickCrock is an OG and he’s American. But the majority were western Canadian. That’s why you see lots of people from BC and Alberta here. The company itself was started in Edmonton.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    How come they didn't come back?

13. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I guess Facebook can offer things we can’t. One of our main features was that you were able to look users up by location, but that was taken away and hurt us a lot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. MarkFL

MarkFL Guest

Blogs:
    I bet we can add that back somehow. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. .:Batman:.

Blogs:
    Facebook shamcebook overrated

But what else besides just the overall usage of the site. I seem to recall something about contests tell me about these!

16. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    Nexopia used to have great giveaways for contests, like concert tickets and iPods. There were contests like best Halloween costume, best profile page, best skin design etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Cold

Cold Member

Blogs:
    Old nexopia was amazing simply put.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. .:Batman:.

Blogs:
    How were they getting the prizes and who were hosting the contests?

19. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    My understanding is that it was the go-to place for teenage Canadians to hook up and ****. The next generation of Canadian teenagers had better options to hook up and ****, so they didn't use this site. The original generation aged and matured so they no longer wanted to use the site either. Except a few people (modern Nexopia) who either refused to mature or came back out of nostalgia.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    That's a really good feature, should be added back

• Like Like x 1