User Search

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by djfly, Feb 11, 2016.

1. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    I finally found the user search...
    Users -> Right Nav -> Search.

Ok, it finds ME, because I know exactly how my username is spelled... but if you start in the middle of someone's username (due to leading special characters, xox type stuff, etc), you'll never get a match. It would be *really* nice if the search could work like the old one... spaces, special characters, and numbers be ignored, and a wildcard be added the the beginning of the strings...

Currently, if the following users existed:
    xox-girlie42-xox
    johns-girl19
    "girl" won't return any results in the user search.

Using SOUNDEX would be difficult, considering the amount of odd patterns people put in their usernames, but the following would work (and be similar to the old search):

search for %girl% against
    xoxgirliexoxo
    johnsgirl

Add the wildcard the beginning of the search term (the wildcard already seems to be added to the end) and remove all numbers and special characters from both the search term and the terms being searched.

Additionally, if you replaced any spaces in the search term with a wildcard, "john girl" (i.e., %john%girl%) would successfully return "johnsgirl19" as well as "wasjohnsgirl19"...

I think these changes would make for a much more usable and intuitive search.

2. Tia

Tia Guest

Blogs:
    doesn't that just search the forums?

3. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Will forward this on. Thanks, @djfly!

4. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    No, it finds profiles (note, you need to go to "USERS" in the top navigation first)

5. Tia

Tia Guest

Blogs:
    I finally figured out what you mean. The users that match whatever you are looking for, show up all the way at the right side of the screen. :)

6. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    But it never finds non-exact matches (like the old site did). =)

7. Tia

Tia Guest

Blogs:
    I noticed that too.