What are my odds of getting schizophrenia?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mikeconley11, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    So I have an uncle, an aunt and a grandparent who were diagnosed with it. I hear it starts developing in your early twenties and I feel like I'm like a prime candidate for it because I'm so socially isolated and also have the genetics. Any psychology nerds here? What would you say the odds of me getting it are? I think I'm pretty weird already but I'm definitely sane, but then again no insane person ever thinks they're insane.

I'm 19 now, at what age would I be more or less "safe" from getting it lol?

2. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    I’d say mid 20s you’re probably safe. I know someone who got it baaad in their early 20s, and then everyone else I know was diagnosed in their teens. But only one of them is a weirdo, and he was weird to begin with.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    I want a job in the public sector so getting it would literally ruin my life. The people you know, were they like social before getting diagnosed?

My aunt painted all her windows black and rang up to say me and my sister are incestuous prostitutes, I can't be like that! Brains are scary.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, as this is my 1000th post I've wrote you a poem.

Twinkle, twinkle little Skrinkle;
    Oh I wonder how you tinkle;
    Up above the world like a sprinkle;
    Like a diamond with a wrinkle;
    Twinkle, twinkle little Skrinkle;
    How I wonder if you're related to Rip Van Winkle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Karlijn

Karlijn Guest

Blogs:
    Someone I know got her first psychosis at the age of 30 and is now diagnosed as schizophrenic, but that’s pretty rare.
    I do know that people who use drugs (including weed and other “harmless” substances at a young age have a higher risk of psychosis later in life.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karlijn

Karlijn Guest

Blogs:
    Also: your poem

:clap::bow::party:

6. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Yeah, I've heard that too only done weed once I don't think that'll be a problem. I can't wait to turn 30.

7. futbol4life19

futbol4life19 Member

Blogs:
    I've known a few people who where diagnosed schizophrenic...my uncle and 2 people in my highscool days.
    All seem well and my uncle is business owner

Drugs are a common denominator amongst them tho

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    I'm not sure how accurate this information is, the studies done were pretty small. Although I have heard the same thing a lot. One of my old highschool friends got diagnosed in his late teens and he tells people his schizophrenic genes were triggered by smoking weed.

9. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Do you guys think @Daniel Whelan is having a stretched out psychotic episode?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    Probably

11. Mr.Lame

Mr.Lame Veteran

Blogs:
    Under proper therapy and medication you should be able to get it under control esp at an early age. Your brain develops till you're 25 so if it were to emerge around your age and you started medication, it may help bring back more balance.

Mind you if you want to know if you'll get it, I'd follow back your family tree and see if there's a genetic trend.

Come from a family of Bipolars so, LET'S ROB A BANK, just let me cry first hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karlijn

Karlijn Guest

Blogs:
    Yep, medication works pretty well in most cases, but it usually has side effects too. Still better than being locked up,like they did in the past

• Like Like x 2
  13. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    When my aunt doesn't take her meds, she's batshit which is most of the time. One time she called the police on my parents for child abuse, only problem was there were no children in the house lol, me and my siblings were all over 18 and living on campus. Another time she started talking about how she killed 2 soldiers in world war 2 being completely serious, she wasn't even alive then! If I get schizophrenia I hope I don't lose my ability to create realistic trolling stories.

• Like Like x 1
  14. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    When one person I know went off their meds they stabbed two people lol. Always take your meds :pray:

15. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Woow, I always hear that "paranoid schizophrenics being violent is a stereotype" but honestly it happens quite a lot.

16. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

Blogs:
    One of my coworkers got decapitated by a schizophrenic man too. But I guess most people aren’t violent, so it’s not appropriate to stereotype lol. :shifty:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Karlijn

Karlijn Guest

Blogs:
    It’s usually because they try to defend themselves against an imaginary attacker or because they/it/god told them so

18. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs:
    Was that the famous Grayhound incident?

19. mikeconley11

mikeconley11 Guest

Blogs:
    Oooh, backstory time

20. Wrecky

Wrecky Valkyrie

Blogs: