What are your thoughts on Mechanical Keyboards? Do you own any?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Isadoorian | Tristan, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Isadoorian | Tristan

Isadoorian | Tristan Guest

Blogs:
    Hey! Wanted to see what Nex' thoughts were on the beautiful, boogeyman of wallets & bank accounts everywhere that are Mechanical Keyboards

Now, for the uninitiated, you're probably sitting there right now thinking "What the ****'s this guy on about? Mechanical Keyboards? What's different between these things and the cheap ass $20 one right in front of me?"

Here's that explanation:

"A mechanical keyboard is a keyboard built with high quality, typically spring activated, key switches. These key switches vary based on the keyboard’s application or user preference."

"Most common keyboards use cheap rubber dome switches as opposed to Mechanical Keyboards which use high quality mechanical switches. Mechanical switches can vary quite a bit, but most contain individual springs and are consistently higher in quality than rubber dome switches. The keyboard framing, key rollover*, printing / etching, key plastic, PCB board, LED lighting (sharpness and brightness), and a slew of other features are also generally far superior in Mechanical Keyboards."

* Key Rollover is how many keys you can press simultaneously at the same time; you can learn more about that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

Still not convinced? Read This: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsa...sair_vengeance_k65_compact/cgyt0n7/?context=3 comment thread

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments I'll do my best to answer!

Now; for those who own any; which ones? Which Switches?

I have a Logitech G710+ w/ Cherry MX Browns but now want a board w/ MX Clears; got close to getting a Pok3r w/ MX Clears for $90 from someone here in BC but I guess it fell through? No idea what happened there, but I'll keep searching!

2. Son of WriterBot

Son of WriterBot Guest

Blogs:
    I have a corsair with red switches. Its pretty nice. My only issue with mechanical keyboards so far is how noisy they are. The silent keys are still proto and people q.q about them "jamming" apparently. The only thing i can think of is they dont go down as far due to the silencing buffer theyve added so people just arent used to how much lighter you can press now.

3. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    Yeah they can be fairly noisy; mine came w/ O-rings and my parents said it was no louder than the membrane keyboard I was using prior

I was thinking of getting a KB w/ MX Blues or Greens, but now I want the new Typist A from MechanicalKeyboards; it has the new Kailh Box White switch; uses a click bar so it's more clicky than a switch w/ a plastic click sleeve (such as the Blue /Green switches I mentioned)

4. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    I hate clicky keyboards

5. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    I love clicky keyboards I have one and it has a brand and model but idk what it is. It clicks, who cares

6. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    yeah; lot of people do; especially if you bring one into a Office environment

I don't mind them honestly; plus my bedroom's upstairs and no one else has a room up here aside from our dog lol

7. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    Ahaha; if you'd like I can try Identifying it for you :D

8. mcpon14

mcpon14 Bleeds Nexopia

Blogs:
    I'm thankful to God that keyboards and the Internet and computers exist. :)

9. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    I like quiet mechanical - I think the aversion was because my mom had a clicky keyboard and she always gave me a hard time about using the computer until 5am

10. Gus

Gus Veteran

Blogs:
    I can use either, no biggie

11. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    lmao; bet it was a Model M or F :P

12. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    It was an old school piece of crap that came with my mom’s Pentium computer. Clicky office keyboard - still works oddly, well built but loud as **** haha

13. Son of WriterBot

Son of WriterBot Guest

Blogs:
    Sounds like you got it figured out. I was tempted by the Corsair silent mechanical kb but it doesnt support rgb and rainbows are what my rig is about so I opted for good ol cherry reds instead of proto-muted browns

14. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    ah; yeah, if you want RGB, Ducky and Vortex have KBs that offer that; keep in mind that Vortex' KBs are mostly TKL (80%), 60% or their 40% KBs

and if you're in the US MechanicalKeyboards.com offers free Shipping

15. steven b

steven b Newbie

Blogs:
    ive got multiple mechanical keyboards, and a new one for my x200 laptop. i want one with blank keys. the click is satisfying

16. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    ooo! Got any pics? :D

17. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    Nice, I saw a blank top keyboard, it had labels on the keys, but they were small on the front of the keys, rather than the top

18. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    Yeah, those are Side Print Key Caps; a little uncommon but most people like them for a little more minimalistic look

• Like Like x 1
  19. SAKARINBO

SAKARINBO Fartist

Blogs:
    its got a back light and a squigly symbol on it

20. Isadoorian | Tristan

Blogs:
    xD fair enough