What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'TV & Movies' started by Mark CM, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Watched a lot of movies this week both at home and in the theatre. Here's the breakdown:

The Accountant (meh)
    Colonia (Netflix, not bad)
    Inherent Vice (finally got through it and liked it a lot, was just never in the mood to deal with the density of the plot)
    Bleed for This (liked this way more than I expected to)
    The Lobster (super weird, I kinda liked it but I'm still processing this one)
    Mascots (the epitome of "wait for it on Netflix", a few really hilarious moments but overall a total letdown)

2. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Moderator

Blogs:
    Wasn't too concerned since it's not a fully fledged book. I didn't have the $30 to throw away to buy it, and the wait list for the hold at the library was quite long.

I'll pick it up if it gets released on paperback

3. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Moderator

Blogs:
    I
    I liked Accountant. Didn't love it but it was solid enough to enjoy

4. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Exactly how I felt. Totally enjoyable, but maybe objectively a bad movie. Required a bit too much suspension of disbelief for my liking. And every plot twist was way too predictable.

5. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Moderator

Blogs:
    Edge of Seventeen. A surprisingly great coming of age movie. Filled with terrific performances, and well written a d developed characters, this feels like a modern day Hughes movie. 9/10. Not even kidding when I say it's jumped into my top ten of the year

6. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    My girlfriend saw it at TIFF and HATED it. I'll probably have to wait for it to show up on Netflix. The trailer looks so good.

7. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Moderator

Blogs:
    I liked that it fleshed out characters like her brother. Did not feel like just a "hey it's the jock brother", there was real attention to trying to add little things there. It really did it for me.

8. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Oooooh okay. I'll definitely have to watch it.

9. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Watch The Intervention on Netflix over the weekend. Nice ensemble comedy-drama with a standout performance from Melanie Lynskie from Heavenly Creatures. Really well-developed characters even though it doesn't really break any new ground in terms of themes. Definitely worth a watch.

10. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Also finally got around to watching The Bronze which was fun, but not objectively a good movie. I was in the right mood for it though.

And Saturday night we went out to the old rep theatre to a screening of The Lost Boys followed by a surprise screening of Corey Haim's Prayer of the Rollerboys, which has maybe the best short synopsis of any movie ever:

"Corey Haim takes on white supremacist rollerbladers in Prayer of the Rollerboys, the futuristic tale of teen angst and sweet love on skates. Haim stars as Chris Griffin, a pizza delivery boy whose younger brother gets caught up with the local drug-pusher gang, the Rollerboys. With the help of Casey (Patricia Arquette), a female cop out for revenge for her own brother's death, they set out to bring down the dreaded 'boys for good."

11. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
  12. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    Yeah, cuz we've never seen Hitchcock. I have a film degree and I like low culture as much (if not more than) high culture. It's a "What was the last movie you watched?" thread, there's going to be a lot of new movies. I post them to help others suss out the good from the schlock.

13. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    I just hate it when people are like "You like Fast & Furious? Oh, I like real cinema/art films."

14. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Should have kept quiet. This was bound to be a repeat of "I meant _new_ movies, not _good_ movies".

Pardon me for calling out the fluffy post modern pretentiousness when I see it.

*shrug* ?

(if you'd left it at once post, I likely wouldn't have bothered replying, but answering one's self, see above, et cetera)

15. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    ... Unfortunate that the point I was trying to make was missed.
    This wasn't about new / old or high / low brow...

I was attempting to make a point about how shitty modern movies are. I'm sincerely sorry that you're too sensitive.

16. Mark CM

Mark CM Veteran

Blogs:
    It's not that I'm too sensitive, it's that you didn't make the point you were trying to make. It was a vague statement and I misinterpreted it. It happens.

17. FlamesFanatic

FlamesFanatic Moderator

Blogs:
    Spectral, the new Netflix original movie. Nothing amazing but it was fun. Also watched their original film Arq recently and like it

• Like Like x 1
  18. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Mercury Rising
    Because it's on TV in the background. Not a terrible movie for what it is.

19. Posta

Posta Champion

Blogs:
    The Grinch.

20. djfly

djfly Smiter of Spam

Blogs:
    Good one or new one?