Who do you think is more influential?

Discussion in 'Attention Seekers' started by mcpon14, Mar 20, 2018.

1. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    Johannes Gutenberg or James Watt?

2. Eastcorner

Eastcorner Member

Blogs:
    Arguably, I'd say Gutenberg. The printing press made the Bible widely available, which led to the whole Reformation business.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    It also helped spread the ideas of the Enlightenment, especially through the Encyclopedia.

4. twatgangsta

twatgangsta Regular

Blogs:
    Tesla

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    Why? A lot of people contributed the development of AC. He really is only famous because of his battle with Edison. And Maxwell is more influential than him in radio technology.

• Like Like x 1
  6. twatgangsta

twatgangsta Regular

Blogs:
    Mostly because **** Edison lol, but I agree maxwell’s equations are probably the most elegant and simplistic formulas I came across in my school career, he was pretty sweet

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    I read that it paved the way for the emergence of quantum theory and Einstein's general theory of relativity.

8. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    Edison did piss a lot of people off, lol. Hiram Maxim (inventor of the Maxim gun, a machine gun) supposedly invented the same kind of light bulb that Edison did but Edison won the patent war, so Edison is credited with it, lol.

9. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    I’d throw Issac Asimov into the ring, he learned to present complex ideas in ways that people with less understanding and education could fathom. I’m not talking about his fictional works, although he did the same there as well. He did a lot to promote science and create interest in people that may have otherwise not shown much interest

10. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    Hawking is sort of the famous guy that helped popularize physics and made it easier to understand for the laymen, such as myself, with his A Brief History of Time.

11. twatgangsta

twatgangsta Regular

Blogs:
    Edison, the original patent troll

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    Not much worse than James Watt and Matthew Boulton, lol. They had like a 25 year patent on the steam engine and when their patent expired, all of these improvements to the steam engine came out. That's one of the main reasons why they made all of these revolutionary improvements to the steam engine, so they can stay competitive, lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    Hawking was definitely one of the best - Asimov did some ground breaking things, but Hawking had a laser focus on the nature of the universe

14. Jeb

Jeb Newbie

Blogs:
    Definitely on the Gutenburg side of the party. Without Gutenburg making the distribution of information and thus education easier, I think it's probs unlikely that Watt would've been able to make the innovations he did; the printing press was arguably the catalyst that caused technological improvement in the first place. Without printing we could still be bantering around in villages.

15. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    What did Asimov do?

16. Jeb

Jeb Newbie

Blogs:
    Wrote some mad good books.

17. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    According to most sites that I've gone on, the printing press is considered the most influential invention in history that people know the name of the inventor for.

18. mcpon14

mcpon14 Guest

Blogs:
    But the Industrial Revolution is the most influential event in human history since the Neolithic agricultural revolution and the Watt engine is the defining invention of that.

19. Jeb

Jeb Newbie

Blogs:
    Was a hell of a thing yeah, before then all books either only had one or a couple copies or had to be copied out by hand, which was usually only done by monks, at least in Europe, meaning that scientific texts (seen as heretical) would barely ever have more than a single copy and even then it's banned and destroyed if possible by the clergy.

20. Squire72

Squire72 Moberator

Blogs:
    He wrote over 500 books, was a vice president of Mensa, had an unbelievably impressive knowledge of the universe

One of the smartest men to ever live

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov